Text: Isaiah 9:6,7
No other birth in the world…
…was brought about by the power of the Holy Spirit in the life of a virgin.
…was welcomed by choirs of angels singing in the night sky.
…brought wise men from the east to worship the one who was born, with costly gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh.
…was already known and predicted more than seven centuries before it happened.
(Micah 5:2; Isaiah 9:6,7, cf. Luke 2:11)
This prophecy presents three great facts about the birth of Jesus:
1. The Ones He Was Born for – “unto us”
• He was not born for the angels who rejoiced at His birth (Hebrews 2:16).
• He is the One that the whole human race had been waiting for.
• God give Him to us in order to meet our need for life (John 10:10; 14:6).
• But not everyone wants to receive Him (John 1:11).
• Question: Will you receive Him as the Lord of your life?
2. His Ultimate Destiny – “…and the government shall be upon His shoulder”
“Of the increase of His government and peace there shall be no end.”
• This shows that the rule of Jesus will be permanent. Therefore we must submit fully to His rule.
“…upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom,”
• He will a godly and wise king like King David.
• God made a covenant with David that the throne of his kingdom would be established forever.
• This covenant is now fulfilled through Jesus Christ.
“…to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever.”
• He is able to judge the innermost thoughts and intentions of men’s hearts.
• He will also exercise a rule of judgment and justice in your life.
• Question: Will you put away every sin from your heart?
3. The Names He Will Be Given:
“…and his name shall be called…”
a. Wonderful Counselor
• Colossians 2:3 – “In Him are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.”
• Matthew 11:29 – “Take My yoke upon you, and learn of Me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.”
• Application: Will you come and learn from Jesus?
b. Mighty God
• God had always existed from the beginning of time.
• He entered into the world by taking on a human form.
• But how can God become a helpless little baby?
• You must accept this mystery by faith in God’s Word.
c. Everlasting Father
• He was so moved to compassion that He came to earth to die for our sins.
• Christ’s birth reveals the love that God has for us, the love that brought Him down here to be with us.
• Question: Has anyone ever loved you that much before?
d. Prince of Peace
• He alone can bring the peace that passes all understanding to our hearts.
• John 14:27 – “Peace I leave with you, My peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.”
• Question: Will you come to Jesus to be reconciled with God and with man?
• Jesus will do all these things because “…the zeal of the Lord of hosts will perform this.” (v.7)
• The past tense is used in verse 6 even though this birth took place seven centuries later.
• God always does everything that He said He will do.
• Will you trust in His Word today?
• Will you turn away from your sins and come to Jesus Christ for salvation?